Saturday, June 4, 2011

Changing car brakes and caliper won't open?

I%26#039;m changing my brake pads on my 96 Taurus and got to the point where I needed to reset the calipers but they won%26#039;t budge...please help me|||Does the piston have a plus sign style groove in it? You may have to turn them back, not just push it back like many others. My moms car had rear disc brakes where this was the case. You can buy a tool that looks like the frame of a box. It goes onto a ratchet and has diffrent prongs on all sides for diffrent vehicles. You simply ratchet it backwards. Also make sure you remove the cap for the brake fluid resevoir to allow to fluid and pressure to have a place to go. Good luck!|||If they are front discs you need a large 6%26quot; C-clamp.


If it%26#039;s on the rear discs, you%26#039;ll probably have to rent the special tool from the AutoParts store, usually for free.