Saturday, June 4, 2011

How often do you change your car brakes?

When they wear out. How long that is will depend on your driving habits. If you do a lot of stop-and-go driving, they%26#039;ll wear out sooner. I knew a guy who had a newspaper route. He wore out his brakes on a new car in 20,000 miles. I have a car at home that has over 100,000 miles on the original brakes, but it gets used for a lot of highway miles.





If you%26#039;re not sure about them, have them checked at a brake shop. Some of the chains will do free inspections.|||I change them less often if I drive less often and more often if I drive more often. :)





I inspect them twice a year and %26quot;I%26quot; seem to need pad replacement once every 3 years.


In the fall and spring I take my brakes apart and clean and lube critical parts as this helps with longevity.





Your brakes, properly working, should last about 3 years on the pads as well.|||that depends if you drive where there is a lot of stop and go driving like the city or hilly roads where you have to use your brakes a lot.|||A new car typically gets its first front disc brake check at 30,000 miles. Rear brakes often last twice as many miles as the front brakes. My cars usually get at least 50,000 miles on the front and 100,000 miles on the rear brake pads or shoes, but some cars can routinely wear out front brake pads in 15,000 miles depending on the car and driver use.|||when they where out


to check them just take the wheel off and have a look the inside pad usually wares the most .


Change them when they get to 1.5mm (1/16%26quot;)