Saturday, June 4, 2011

Is it bad to turn the wheel while changing brakes?

Once I get the side that needs changed up on a jack I find it%26#039;s easier to work on the brakes if I then turn the steering wheel so that the caliper is turned towards me. Is it bad for the other wheel to be turned while the car is jacked up? Should I turn the wheels before I jack the car up? Or should I just leave it straight, crawl into the well and work in the dark?|||its not bad as long as it doest fall off the jack. the way i do it, is i throw the tire up under the frame, if it falls the tire will catch it. i know what you mean, you can get to the bolts better, if the caliper is pointed towards you.|||nope. I would crank the key and turn the steering wheel all the way and turn the key back to lock the wheel right there.|||Nope.





Just like you I find it easier if I turn the wheel during a brake job. I%26#039;ve also seen mechanics do the same.








Good Luck...|||It doesn%26#039;t hurt anything at all. By all means get at least a pair of quality jack stands to support your vehicle. Never work on it with just a jack supporting it or tires or especially cinder blocks or whatever else.|||That%26#039;s not a problem. What you need to be aware of is pressing the brake pedal while you have the caliper off the car or the brake drum off the car. You will destroy your brakes if you press the pedal.|||you can turn the wheel all you want and it won%26#039;t hurt a thing on the brakes.