Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Can I use a turkey baster to remove brake fluid when changing my brake pads?

Instead of draining brake fluid under the car, can I use a turkey baster to remove brake fluid from the brake fluid reservoir?
Can I use a turkey baster to remove brake fluid when changing my brake pads?
yes but be careful not to drip, brake fluid is corrosive
Can I use a turkey baster to remove brake fluid when changing my brake pads?
ummmm, if your changing your brake pads, you dont need to drain the brake fluid. open the master cylinder cap and put rags around it. relieves the pressure when you spread the calipers apart to get the pads out
Yes. I have done this myself



Just don't use it for food any more for obvious reasons
get a rag or a paper towel to quickly place it on the tip of the baster after you got the fluid in there. you know they drip...
You shouldn't need to remove any brake fluid to change the break pads, unless you want to change the fluid for other reasons. What I do is after I remove the caliper, I use a large C-clamp to compress it for re-installation. Keep the old pad on the caliper when you compress it to prevent damaging the caliper. You shouldn't need to do anything else if you car is similar to mine (1997 Jeep Cherokee).