Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Car stalls when I hit the brakes?

my car is a 1993 Pontiac Grand prix. If I keep my foot on the brake and try to start the car the engine will start but almost as soon as I take my foot off the brake the car will stall when I put it into gear. Its not something that happens all the time. My car has ABS and when I realize my foot from the brake their will be like a plastic sound coming from the booster but it will only happen if I start the car with my foot on the brake and when I take my foot off the brake it will make that plastic sound. The ABS will also make that sound if the system is activated. The engine has 179K miles on it but it has new gaskets in the upper intake all new vacuum lines and I also replaced the plugs with Platinum plugs. the car had this problem before I changed anything. I maintain the car like a new car so even with 179k the car still looks new even up close it also runs and drives great but the only problem I have is with it stalling sometimes. the booster holds vacuum and my brakes are responsive and they don't fade or anything. I don't have any ABS lights or check engine lights I checked all my fuses and they are good the ABS system it self works fine as I test it every now and then if I am driving on a wet road. the engine can pull 20 pounds of vacuum at idle and almost 32 at speed.
Car stalls when I hit the brakes?
the brake booster is one cause but the transmission is another. the torque converter is a lock up type and if this is your problem then the control solenoid or the circuit to that is at fault.
Car stalls when I hit the brakes?
the brake booster leaking or bad
You say your booster makes a plastic sound but I don't know what a plastic sound sounds like. When you start your car with your foot on the brake, if the booster is OK the pedal should sink towards the floor slightly. If it doesn't, the booster has a leaky diaphragm which just might be what's causing your problem..
If it's not your booster that has gone bad, try checking your throttle body's idle. When you place a car in drive it places a bit more of a load on the engine. If your idle is too low, this may be too much for the engine and it will cuase it to stall. It's a simple fix. Just need a screwdriver. Hope this helps.
  • ie
  • spanish name for boy
  •