Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What's wrong with my car brakes?

1984 Celica gt. If I drive around the block the breaks are fine but eventually they start getting tighter like they won't release normally. I just did some engine work and changed some vacuum hoses but I didn't touch anything brake related. I haven't really driven it much cause I just bought it but I didn't have this problem previously. Any information will help
What's wrong with my car brakes?
You do have a brake booster on that car that appears to be vacuum assisted based on parts offered for it.



So given that is where you made changes, that's the first place I would look for a problem. If you have created too much vacuum, you could be over assisting the brakes.



Exactly when those cars started having ABS is unclear to me. If you have ABS, the vacuum changes you made could result in problems as well.



I had an Audi that had a master cylinder that was acting up, and would cause the same problem you are seeing, but that was a known situation with the Audi, and it is not clear to me that is true for your car.



If after going back over your vacuum hose placement you don't find any problems, I suggest you try the forum below. It directly addresses your era Celica and someone there will more likely have an answer if it is something peculiar to that car, and is a coincidence to the changes you made.



You probably will have to join before you can post, but it looks to be free.



Good luck.
What's wrong with my car brakes?
Could be a sticking caliper but most likely is the vacuum hose to the brake booster if you have recently changed them. The booster (power brakes) use engine vacuum to give the assist. Could be related. The booster is a can-shaped unit under the hood attached to the brake master cylinder.
This could be a couple of things, Stuck piston in the caliper or a blown/collapsed brake hose.
sounds like a stuck brake caliper.



drive it around untill it drags hard, then stop and feel the disks to see which one is hot.