Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I need help with my brakes on my car?

I have a 2002 Hyundai Elantra and i changed the rear brakes on it because they were squeaking after i fixed that i bled the brakes cause the peddle went to the floor. after i bled the brakes the brakes didnt work at all what happened or do i have to do something else please help me i have to be somewhere tomorrow and its important I am worried.
I need help with my brakes on my car?
The pedal shouldn't have gone to the floor. Might want to check if you have any brake fluid or if you are out after the bleeding. Your fluid is going somewhere or isn't moving at all. You need someone to help you bleed the brakes or use a mighty vac. You also need to check that you didn't rupture a line or kink any lines while changing the pads. If you let the calipers hang on the brake lines you may have broken one.



As far as bleeding brakes goes there is no reason not to bleed then when changing pads. DOT 3 is well know for off gassing the system doesn't have to be opened to need bleeding periodically. Simple changes in altitude. (mountains) can cause off gassing of DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluids. The moisture in the fluid boils out causing air to form in the lines. This is why there are bleeder valves on each wheel. If the auto companies could get away without using bleeder valves they would.



Since the wheel cylinder is the part of the system that experiences the most heat. It is the most likely place for the brake fluid to be hot. So that is where the most air pockets will form. Compressing the caliper piston to install the new pads will push the air back into the system. So yes changing the pads is a wonderful time to bleed the brakes.
I need help with my brakes on my car?
It's hard for anyone on this forum to tell you what you did wrong. First off, if you just changed the pads, there should have not been any reason to bleed the brakes. If you messed up bleeding the brakes, you allowed air into the system.

Did you bleed the brakes by yourself because brake bleeding is a two man job unless you have an automatic bleeder.
Yeah you probably messed up the bleed job, do it again with some help.
Unless you used a 1 man bleeding system (speed bleeder) then you probably messed up the bleeding. Get a 1 man bleeder and try again.