Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why does my car make a whistle sound when I turn the wheel and brake?

I have a 2001 Alero GLS Oldsmobile. When I turn my wheel and brake at the same time my car makes a whistle sound and it only occurs when I turn and brake. I have checked all my fluids and none of them are low. I haven't had my brakes changed in a year so I don't know if that is the problem, but I'm having them changed next weekend.

I also hear a clicking sound when I drive that increases with frequency when I increase my speed and decreases with frequency when I decrease my speed.

Any possible answers are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Why does my car make a whistle sound when I turn the wheel and brake?
Well to start off, sound number 1 sounds like a brake problem. As you turn the wheel, you load the wheel bearing that in turn allows the rotor to contact the low pad indicator on your brake pad. This will be resolved when you replace the brakes.



If it has only been a year since the last time you replaced the brakes, you better be using your brakes a lot for them to be worn out already. Now, I do know that if you install the brake pads incorrectly, the outboard brake pad on the inside and vice versa, it will cause the brakes to wear out prematurely and cause noise.



If you are replacing the brakes yourself, take a look and make sure they are installed correctly. There should be a tab on the back of the pad, one has a small tab and the other has a large tab. The pad with the larger tab goes on the inboard side.



2. The clicking noise can be attributed to a bad CV axle or it can be caused by the improper installation of the brake bad. I would advise having this checked by a qualified mechanic.
Why does my car make a whistle sound when I turn the wheel and brake?
Two possibilities: 1. front wheel bearings. 2. CV joints going bad.
I agree, CV joint. Good idea to have your mechanic look at that for you.
The clicking noise is a CV joint. A replacement is around $100 plus another $100 or so to install it.



The whistling sounds is probably a brake pad that is %26quot;chattering%26quot; (high-pitched squeal). It might just be an annoyance, but it also might indicate you need new brake pads.
It's your breaks thy have a indicator on the break pad. it's a little tab that squeaks when your brakes get low. It will go a way next week after you change them.
your car sounds fine to me, no need for any mechanical repairs
get ur brakes done now it is ur brakes
whistling noise .... check for a vacuum leak



clicking from the CV joint have them checked.....soon....



good luck

smile