Thursday, October 6, 2011

When should I bleed my car's brakes?

What are signs to look for? My brakes seem to work fine but the fluid in my master cylinder is low and mostly brown colored, is it time for a change? Should I simply add more fluid or bleed the entire system? My mechanic will do it for sixty bucks Canadian.
When should I bleed my car's brakes?
it's best to flush the brake fluid out every couple of years or when you have the pads changed as moisture gets into the fluid from heat and cooling all the time and the moisture can ruin the wheel cylinders and calipers.
When should I bleed my car's brakes?
Fluid is low due to lining material wearing away from normal use. The color is not unusual for higher mileage cars, but I do recommend a brake fluid flush, cleaner is always better than dirty, no matter what fluid your looking at on your car.
you need to bleed when they go soft and spongy

on the pedal



I would add fluid and replace the cap -



and preferably before air gets into the system -



then you will get soft and spongy brakes



and HAVE to bleed the system



***********by the way



saw a neat device at a repair shop



clear rubber tube you put on the brake fluid exit valve

- it had a 'one way' valve on it - which allowed the brakes

to be bled by one person - which you might be able to do yourself



just attach the hose -(and put the end of the hose into a catch container) open the valve - then sit back in the driver's seat and push up and down three times - then check the clear hose - if no bubbles - tighten and move on to the next wheel.



best of luck