Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Car brakes are pumping...please read?

I drive a 2003 Mazda 6. I bought this car exactly 2 years ago. I had put new brakes on the car when I bought it (2 years ago). This car just hit 65,000 miles. I live in Pennsylvania and I have no choice but to drive a lot. I also have not replaced my tired yet. Every time I had gotten an oil change, my mechanic had said everything checked out good. I have been going to them for years and they have never done me wrong. For my last oil change, which was 3 months ago, I went to Wal Mart to get it done. They told me I would need a new car battery soon and that I would need new tires mid winter. It is not March and I have not replaced the tires yet, nor battery. The passed few weeks, I have noticed that when I push the brakes, my car vibrates. It is worse when I am trying to brake on a hill. It almost feels as if my car won't stop ( which I am scared that it won't one day ). I am hoping that it is the tires because of money. My tires also look like they may need air in them.



Just by these details, does anyone think they may know the problem? The more I read about it, the more it sounds like the brakes. What are the cost of brake pads %26amp; rotors? And as for tires, I usually get the general kind, nothing fancy or special at all. Just by going from what Wal Mart said, I feel as if it would be the tires, but I could be completely wrong.



I am taking my car to the mechanic this Friday. However, I just want to be prepared and know the possible outcomes that may be. Since I am a young girl, I don't want anyone to try and take advantage of me. I do know some about cars, I'm not completely clueless.



Can anyone let me know my possible car problem/problems, what questions to ask the mechanic, and pricing of things for my 2003 Mazda 6?
Car brakes are pumping...please read?
A vibration during braking is usually an indication of warped rotors, not bad tires. If you have a penny, insert the portion with ABE's head into the tread. If you can see the top of Abe's head the the tires are worn to the point that they need replacing. Brake pads and rotors will vary, in cost, from car to car and from one place to another. Try to get estimates from two or three places.
Car brakes are pumping...please read?
It really sound like warped rotors the way you describe it. One thing important on these smaller cars, is always insist on a hand torque when they remove and replace a wheel for any reason, as over tighteningg the lug nuts can and will cause the rotors to warp, and follow the bolt tightening pattern.
Before anything I would check the brake fluid. Vibration is usually a front end problem and I would take it to an alignment shop first. I could be something as simple as a wheel/tire out of balance or a more serious problem with the front suspension. Get a couple of estimates first. Remember, to error is human, even the most loyal mechanic can make a mistake.
You are likely going to need new rotors and brake pads. Look at a bill of about $550.00 .This should cover parts and labour. They might tell you that the callipers are seized.If they do, you should ask them if they can heat them up and remove the sliders,clean them on a wire wheel and re-grease them. If they do all of this and can get them to work again you can save about $500.00 .Brakes are expensive but they are the most important system on your vehicle.Do yourself a favour and remember how useful wal mart's advice was and stick with a reliable mechanic.
sounds to me more like brakes. if it was the tires it would do it when you were taking off, if it was a broken belt, or it would do it all the time if it was tire failer.you could take it by a tire shop and ask them to check your tires.btw thats smart of you to change your rotors at the same time most people dont do that so kidduos to you!!! were i live it aout $100.00 for the brakes plus the rotors. if your rotors arn`t bad you may not need to have them worked on.resurfaced.
I had this problem on my car and replacing the front brake rotors worked. The rotors get wharped over time and the front end of the car will shake when you hit the brakes.



My friend is a mechanic and he gave me a good deal on replacing them. In my case, the factory rotors were $83/each and he charged me $50 labor to replace them. The pads still had a lot of meat on them and he kept them on.



Good luck.
  • extension to sqltableprovider
  • dermatologist advice
  •