Thursday, October 6, 2011

I change my rear brakes but my car don't stop on a dime ?

The rear brakes don't do much, especially in hard stops. Check out those front brakes. If the pads look okay but shiny they may be glazed - sanding the surface with some 60 grit sandpaper will fix that. Avoid breathing the dust from teh brakes or from sanding them.
I change my rear brakes but my car don't stop on a dime ?
What type of brakes do you have, shoes or pads ?

Shoes, it would mean your star adjusters are not adjusted.
I change my rear brakes but my car don't stop on a dime ?
Some brake pads (or shoes if your rears are drums) take several moderately hard stops to break-in before you get maximum stopping power. I'll never forget the first time I changed my own brakes - I did all 4 and the first time I drove it afterward I nearly rear-ended a car in front of me because I didn't realize the new pads would barely stop the car. After about a day of driving with some moderately hard stops (and while leaving a huge following distance between me and anyone else), my brakes worked really well, but at first it was borderline scary how poorly they stopped the car.
No car will stop on a dime. If you bleed the brakes the performance should inprove a good deal. Also adjust the parking brake.
if rear brakes are drum drive in reverse and slam brakes that will set it

also do this anyway change your front brakes because the front brakes to roughly 70% of ur braking
did you adjust the brakes up when you put them on? pull the drums and adjust the shoes a little tighter against the drums.
Would help if there was more info.

If there drum brakes, make sure the smaller shoe is in the front and that they are adjusted write.

If you got air in the line you will have to bleed the lines.

If there dic breaks make sure all the sevices are clean and lightly lubed so the calipers can float.

If you didn't change the calipers make sure the pistons are working and not hanging up.

Same thing with air in the fluid.

Bleed them.