Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Car guys!! I think I need my brakes changed! What will it cost?!?

So Im moving across country and driving my car. My brakes are wearing i think, cuz it vibrates when Im slowing down.

I REALLY can't afford a lot...does anyone know about how much this'll cost? And where would be the best place to go? I live in Alabama, so im not sure what places are good



Thanks for your help!! :)
Car guys!! I think I need my brakes changed! What will it cost?!?
if it vibrates, then you MIGHT need new rotors because their warped. depends how badly warped they are though. the mechanic might be able to resurface your rotors. but if they're really bad, then they'll have to replace them.
Car guys!! I think I need my brakes changed! What will it cost?!?
Get on I-75 North. Take it to Michigan and bet on I-275 North after Monroe. Call me when you get to the end of the freeway. I'll do them for free!!!
Well you definetly need rotors if you feel vibration through the pedal, and they almost always do the pads at the same time, the pads shouldn't be more than $50, the rotors really depend on the vehicle, can be anywhere from $30-$200. The actual labour should be around $100.
Vibrations with brake application is a sign that your brake rotors need to be machined flat or true.

This happens when you apply the brake over time. Over heating the brakes is what causes this to happen.

A good shop will cut your rotors for about an hour and a half of what their labor rate is.

Sears, Somerset tire, Firestone, Goodyear are good to name a few.

They also must warranty their work for 1 year.
well assuming the vibration you are talking about is in the pedal and IS the brakes (fairly safe assumption i guess)



sounds like your rotors are giving you trouble. depending on what make/model car you drive they can either be turned (90% of cars out there) or need to be replaced.



If you have a friend that is car-competent then ask him/her to do it (maybe throw them a couple bucks, beer, or some other favor)

they can remove the rotors from your car which is not tough and take them to o'reillys or any other auto parts store and have them turned.

i think its $10/rotor at O'R's. so cheap.

you should have them replace your brake pads as well



if you do not have a mechanical friend, take it to a reputable shop.......might want to check out cartalk.com, click actual car information, and scroll down to Mechan-X files and search for one.....and tell them you need your rotors turned and new pads.

shouldn't be more than 100 bucks.
you can do a break job for pennies on the dollar if you do it yourself.. About 2 hours and some know how. I would recommend changing the rotors. vibration usually mean a warped rotor. brake pads about 30 bucks for a set. brake shoes roughly the same. aftermarket rotors from autozone can cost anywhere from 30 to 60 bucks depends on the make of vehicle. then you will need some break cleaner in a can,5 bucks. brake fluid about 5 bucks. Make sure you get the right type for your vehicle. examples are DOT 3, some cars take DOT 4 (rarely used) so make sure of that. Be safe and read all the instructions. If you have a shop doing it could cost you any were from 300bucks per axle, to 450 or more. its labor intensive so you are going to pay mostly for the labor and not so much for the parts. good luck and hope your trip goes well for you