Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why are my car brakes grinding??!!?

I have a v8 1996 ford explorer. Recently my cars brakes have been grinding on the passenger while slowing down to a low speed. I decided to get the brake pads changed. That did no justice to the car. N at all. Now when I accelerate at low speeds u can hear scraping and skreetching. What's going on? Is it even the breaks? My steering wheel also temporarily locks up sometimes and veers to the left. Related anything? Please help thank you so very much.
Why are my car brakes grinding??!!?
it sounds like your brake caliper is hanging up and holding to the rotor and not releasing the brake on that side. i think you just need a new caliper witch should be 50-75 then about 25 to have it put on so around 100 bucks :)
Why are my car brakes grinding??!!?
Changing brake pads will not help if the rotors are also worn out. It could also be something else- like hub bearings. This will cause the brake disc to move around in the caliper %26amp; do all sorts of bad things. If the steering and brakes are affected it may NOT be safe to drive! Get it towed to a reputable local shop that specializes in front end alignment and brake repair. This is not a do-it-yourself job unless you are an experienced mechanic.