Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My brother and I changed the front brakes on my car 2 months ago and.......?

On each side only one brake pad was completly worn out while the other brake pad was good, this was on both sides of the car that this happened. What went wrong can somebody explain to me why this might have happened, I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu and we already changed the brake pads and rotors on both sides again.
My brother and I changed the front brakes on my car 2 months ago and.......?
GM has has problems with sticking caliper slides for decades. Your options:

1. remove and lubricate the slides, replace the boots. They will start sticking again within a couple of months

2. replace caliper slides - the kits are available for less than $20

3. replace the entire caliper assembley
My brother and I changed the front brakes on my car 2 months ago and.......?
Strange. Sounds like a problem with the calipers - as if the pistons on one side are stuck. You may need new calipers.
You calipers are stuck. You need to put a small dot of grease on them, so they can slide on the bolts. The grease need s to be on the bolts, under the rubber bellows that protects the bolt. If it is damaged, then you need to replace the rubber bellows.
Couple of things can cause this, one if the rotor is scored on the one side, that would cause uneven wear but you've done this.



If the caliper isn't sliding smoothly on those sleeved pins, perhaps taking that apart and with some wd-40 and a rag clean the sleeves and pins real good or replace them (there may be a boot as well, dunno, but I'd try cleaning them first I don't think it's cheap {the pins and sleeves aren't so bad, but half the time you have to replace the calipers as well}).



And it could be that thing is leaking, forget what it's called but it's the bit the brake bleeder valve is attached to, that needs to be in working order.
Sounds like the pins weren't cleaned properly. The calipers actually %26quot;float%26quot; on pins. If the pins aren't cleaned properly, the caliper will drag to one side and only one pad will wear out. Kinda weird that it happened on both sides.
  • give healthy recipes
  • ink video tape
  •