Friday, September 23, 2011

Why one of my car brakes is sticking?

It's a Mercury Sable 96, the rear left pads are sticking with the rotor after driving 8-10 kms and start to make a continuous and loud noise (friction), when I stop I check all wheels and only this one is hot and smelling burnt, I changed the caliper 2 months ago because of this, the noise dissapear but since 2 days ago it started again, yesterday I changed the brake hose of this wheel because I thought the old one was clogged and the problem is still there. The noise only dissapears when I hit the brakes, but as soon as I loose the pedal the noise starts again. Does it have something to do with a malfunctioning ABS system, could it be the bearing that is coming hot and transfering the heat to the rotor and pads?
Why one of my car brakes is sticking?
I think your bearing is bad and the play is causing the brake to touch.

If you jack up the wheel, you should not be able to move the top of the tire in and out at all.

If there is any play replace your wheel bearings.
Why one of my car brakes is sticking?
replace the brake master cylinder...this is in front of the brake booster (hydrovac).
It can be a fault on the wheel bearing,

Jack up the car, grip the top and bottom of the wheel,

try rocking the wheel top and bottom and side to side,

if any movement is present re-new the bearings.



You may also have a problem with your brake master

cylinder, check the opposite front brake to make sure it's not binding, if it is the problem will be in the master cylinder.
You might want to get this car into shop for repairs because you may have some worn rotors here?
I had this problem with my 95 Tarsus a few months ago. I took it to CarX and they said it was the brake adjuster. Cost was $27 to have them replace it.

Best bet is to take your car to a place you trust and have them look at it.