Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My car's making a strange grinding noise. I thought it was the brakes, but maybe not?

When I'm driving through city streets and I depress the brakes (and even after I release them), I hear this deep grinding/scratching noise coming from the rear of the car. I took the car for its oil change and also had the dealership check the brakes, and they said the pads and rotors are in perfect condition. But I still hear that noise!



It doesn't happen all the time, and it doesn't happen when driving on the freeway. It only happens as I'm parking, reversing or stopping at traffic lights. Any ideas?
My car's making a strange grinding noise. I thought it was the brakes, but maybe not?
CV joints or a bad bearing. Take note how fast you are driving and if you are on a straightaway or a turn. You will need to have a mechanic duplicate what you are doing when it makes this noise. Good luck!
My car's making a strange grinding noise. I thought it was the brakes, but maybe not?
strangely enough: 1)mechanics can be wrong so get a second opinion, and 2)sometimes cars just do make noises so after you get the second opinion, just play the radio a little louder to tune out the noise. Sometimes new brake pads make a noise.
be sure they checked the rear drums and rotars
DID THEY CHECK THE REAR BRAKES BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE THE REAR BRAKES ARE METAL TO METAL.
just go to the mechanic and ask him to check the car.this will help you.
I have no idea wo seeing for myself but check your rear differential and make sure fluid is in it?



Honestly I can't see how this wouldn't be brakes, are you sure the pads have lots of material left? It could be that metal piece they put on the pads to make noise when the brakes are getting low.....the brakes can look fine to somone who looks quickly at them and work fine but are just getting low.
Bring it to a mechanic, but don't just tell them %26quot;check the brakes,%26quot; because then that's all they'll do. Tell them the problem, and let them test drive it so they can hear the noise for themselves. That should get you somewhere.
if you hear the noise when you put the brakes on the you need new brakes ,,putting it off will only cost you more and in danger your life
check wheel bearings
Your rotors could be %26quot;Out of Round.%26quot; They can be machined, and then have the tech, clean and adjust the rears.



What year vehicle is it, and what type? There has been a recall on some of the Ford (fusion, taurus, escapes, etc) for rear pads wearing due to moisture. That's one option.



Semi-metallic's create alot of brake dust. Mainly occurs on the front through.



Tell your service advisor that you want to go on a test drive with either the tech or the service manager.



You'd also like to be present during the inspection. You want the old parts, etc.



Best wishes!

~loh.
I'm not sure if they actually checked your brakes. Take it to another shop and have them road test the car and let them determine the problem. It sounds like the rear brake shoes or pads have worn through and you are making metal to metal contact. This will cause you to replace either the rear rotor or the rear drum.



good luck.
It could be a wheel bearing. I have several replaced throughout the life of my car. The first time I thought it was my anti-lock brakes kicking in.