Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How do I change the brakes on my car?

Thank you for looking. I own a 2006 Infiniti M35, and wish to change the brakes. How do I start off? I really wish to be able to learn all this so I can work on my vehicle, and not have to take it to the shop every time. Is it a matter of just taking the wheels off, and replacing the pads? Thanks a lot
How do I change the brakes on my car?
go to a garage
How do I change the brakes on my car?
It is possible to simply remove and replace the pads as long as your rotors are in spec for thickness, and there is no grooving. However it is recommended that you have your rotors turned when your brake pads are replaced.
Nope, not that easy.



The pads held by the calipers, which alighn the pads over the rotor. You need to remove the caliper (or remove one caliper bolt and rotate up) and any clips holding the pads in. Then, you have to compress the piston(s) in the caliper so you can fit the new (and thicker) pads in. Rear pads can be harder as some rear calipers require you to rotate the piston while compressing it. Remember to opwn the brake fuid reseviour when pushing the piston back as the fluid you are pushing against has to go somewhere.



These are just generic instructions. If you want to work on your car yourself, the best investment is a good service manual. You will spend less than $100 and the information there will be invaluable to you.



This place is an online subscription site:
Its pretty easy. FRONT: Take the wheels off. Take the calipers off the disc. (two bolts on the back side) Pop the brake pads out of the caliper. Replace with the new ones. If necessary use a clamp to compress the caliper piston back down so that it will fit over the brake disc with the new pads on. Then reassemble!



On a car that new you shouldn't need to change the back brakes yet. The front get much more wear then the back, but if the back are discs too, which on an infiniti I'm sure they are...then you do them the same way.