Friday, September 23, 2011

When replacing brakes/rotors on front of 99 Oldsmobile Alero,do you need special tools for removing the rotors

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero and wanted to know if the rotors are easily changed? I am familliar with changing the brakes on this car however was not sure if the rotors needed a puller of any sort to take them off and place the new ones on. Someone has told me that they are easy on rotors and are held on by the wheel. Anyone know for sure? I want to find out before I start. Thanks.
When replacing brakes/rotors on front of 99 Oldsmobile Alero,do you need special tools for removing the rotors
They are most likely held on by the wheels. Most Olds are. Sometimes there are small clips where the lug nut studs go into the rotors you have to cut off. Sometimes, the rotors are stuck due to rust, and you need to heat them up a little bit. I did one that was so rusted on, I had to use a hammer and chisel,and break them apart. Mostly, though, they are a snap to get off.

UPDATE:I just went to autozone.com, and yes they need no special tools to remove.http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker鈥?/a>
When replacing brakes/rotors on front of 99 Oldsmobile Alero,do you need special tools for removing the rotors
This is a good question. And I have been sitting here for a minute trying to figure out how to reply to it. Although I do not know the answer, I am going to look over the net, and do a search on Google, and Yahoo, and other sites and try to find out. I wish I knew what the answer was because I think a question like this deserves the answer. I am wonder how many other people would benefit from the answer. I am glad you asked this question, as it has really got me thinking............. thanks again!!!







PS, this question reminds me of other questions I have seen in my lifetime, which I still have yet to come up worth an answer. Maybe you might know the answer to them............





1.If you cut one head off of a two headed man, have you decapitated him?

2.What is the maximum height of a short man?

3. When does a fertilized egg develop into a person?
The rotor slides on and off the wheel studs.

When you remove the caliper the rotor will slide off.
you'll find out quick.. if the rotors are held on by the rim, you're in luck, otherwise, you'll need a large socket, size is probably 30-32mm. that giant nut allows the rotor (and cv axle) to be removed.
I believe that yes, it's free-floating rotors, and very easy to change once you remove the calipers. Should be no problem, but make sure you get your new rotors cut down when you change your brakes for maximum rotor life and dependability.
?~!, we are on to you. Very clever. You are cutting and pasting with lots of different questions to score points. Good idea.