Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Can an average person change their car's shocks/struts in their garage?

I have a scion TC and I recently bought shocks and struts for it. I've changed my brakes before. I can't find anything on changing the suspension. Can an average person do this in their garage?
Can an average person change their car's shocks/struts in their garage?
Not recommended without some prior experience and the proper tools. Removing compressed springs can be dangerous and destructive if not properly removed.
Can an average person change their car's shocks/struts in their garage?
With the right tools any job can be easy. But with shocks and struts your working with compressed springs and without the proper tools it might be a job best left up to the pros.
The specialized tooling for this job could be as expensive as paying some one to do it.

Spring compressor with safety cage

Pickle fork.

Knowledge.........

Come on over, I have the tools and the knowledge. Bring your wallet.
Even with a DIY guide and the right tools, it's going to be hell the first time, especially if you aren't working with someone who knows how to do it. The front springs are not so hard to get to, but the rear springs are a PAIN to get to on the tC. Luckily, I have a friend who's changed springs on tC's many times, but it still took us a little over two hours and a LOT of work. Even after helping out and watching carefully, I still wouldn't want to attempt this by myself without more experience. Changing the brakes is cake compared to this.



I would suggest you shop around and find a trusted shop to do it for you unless you can get someone you know who has done it before to help you.
You have to get a spring compressor and make sure the springs line up right on the struts or else that will clank.