Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Do I need to change the brakes when I put bigger rims on a car?

I have a 2002 ford f150 and I added 20 inch rims to it. I notices the other day that my braking is not the same. Now do I need to do a complete brake over haul or if I add some slotted and vented brake and ceramic pads be enoght
Do I need to change the brakes when I put bigger rims on a car?
That would be 20 inch wheels.



The braking may or may not be the same, depending on how much weight was added, what size tires you changed to, etc.



Also, slotting and venting brakes changes the cool down component of brakes. It doesn't increase your braking power. For that, you need a larger braking surface, so look for larger rotors, calipers with more pistons, etc.
Do I need to change the brakes when I put bigger rims on a car?
I just loved how people answered this question. never mind not being able to stop when you need to in a emergency situation. or when you run over the mother and her child because you can't stop quick enough due to your over worked brakes.

Yes, besides what a lot of people think, you do, and should change your brakes to a little bit bigger caliper and rotor in the front, think about it, that is a lot of excess rotating mass you installed with those 20 inch wheels and need something a little better to stop that mass.
I am a girl but I put 20 inch rims on my expedition and I didn't have to change my breaks....When you get new tires and rims it does feel different %26quot;youll get use to it%26quot; if not call a rim shop and ask their opinion
No you dont need to change the brakes.. but you do need to realize that since you're upgrading to a bigger, heavier rim, the stopping power decreases. This is normal.
Vehicles are engineered to certain tolerances. If the user exceeds those tolerances then performance will be changed. A larger brake system would be hard to do and pricey. I'd just adapt my driving
Yes bigger brakes.

It makes stopping alot safer.
to improve your braking your on the right track, get some Baer brakes and rotors and put them on.
nope you don,t. your rims should be dished out enough to fit right over the rotors and calipers.
No. How much difference is the tire height between the old tires and the new.