Friday, September 23, 2011

Why do my car Shake when I go to put on Brakes if I am over 60 miles per Hr?

I just had my Front Pads and Rotors changed 2 months ago and my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes fine. In the last week or so when I go over 60 miles per hr and go to break my car starts to shake or something like a knocking I hope you understand what I am trying to say. It is not the engie it is only when I go to put on brakes if I am over 60 miles per hour and I am gentle when I go to put on breaks.
Why do my car Shake when I go to put on Brakes if I am over 60 miles per Hr?
Have your rotors or drums turned becuase they become out of balance and or is known as worped.To have them turned is called truing them back to origional condition.And have your tires rebalanced and torqued to the right specs.And most likely everything will stop the from shaking on the front end or back end.
Why do my car Shake when I go to put on Brakes if I am over 60 miles per Hr?
Sounds like your rotors may be warped.
I still think it is the rotors. Hard spots on the rotors.



Did it stop when you had them changed and then start up again after a while?



Did they cut or 'turn' the rotors or replace them with new ones? And where they aftermarket or OEM?



I'd go back to the place that did the job and be assertive about getting it fixed correct.
could be tires out of balance or also sticking brake calipers
Your wheels/tires probably need to be balanced. You may also have air in the brake line. A certified mechanic can these items out and get you back on the road for under a $100
A couple thoughts:



Really sounds like a bad rotor....or a caliper that is not acting right. Might want to go back to garage that did the work.



Tire balance is a possiblity...but I would think you would feel it at other times.
YOUR ROTORS ARE WARPED EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NEW SOME TIME WE SILL HAVE TO RESURFACE THEM TAKE IT BAKE TO THE SHOP THAT DID THE WORK THEY WILL UNDERSTAND
It's your Rotor or Rotors they where not turned correctly, Plain and simple. Best thing to do is go to a parts place like auto-zone pick up a set of new ones which is not but a few dollars more than having them turned and have someone esle put them on. 1 hour job. -- With it acting like it is now watch out on wet roads. GOOD LUCK
You need a front end alignment. Have you hit a huge pothole in the recent past? That will do it. Also, have the dealership or your mechanic check the lifters.
Possibilities: Tire balance, bent/damaged wheel, loose wheel, loose rotor, damaged rotor (rear rotor maybe?), a problem with the caliper(s). Take it back to the shop that did the brake job, or take it to one of those places that will do a free brake inspection.
Sounds like your tires are out of balance. That is what was wrong with mine when I had that problem.