Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I am new to car repair, I need to change my brakes?

I have the basic Idea down. All I need to know is how to take off the caliber, I see the bolt I have to take out, but its giving me some trouble, what would you recommend I do to get this off easier?



And if possible, is there a site that will show me what to do, Just so i can make sure I am doing it right, I don't want to screw anything up.. my cars my baby =]



thanks guys!
I am new to car repair, I need to change my brakes?
Best bet is just taking it to someone that knows how to do it and have them do it for you. If there is one thing you don't want to mess up on a car its the brakes.
I am new to car repair, I need to change my brakes?
Buy yourself a manual...



and remember that because the bolt goes in from the back, and you are in front.... the bolt will loosen to your right, and tighten to your left....



opposite of the way it would work, if the bolt head were in front of you....
Well... It's called a caliper and ther are at least two bolts to remove it. Once it is off DO NOT PUSH THE BRAKE PEDAL. You will have to depress the cylinder in the caliper to accomodate the new pads. Other than that it is a pretty simple job. Good luck.
get a hynes repair manual for your year make and model car
If it is an old car then the bolts will be rusted tight, try soaking duck oil or WD40 on the bolts way before you do the job. Make sure you have the correct size spanner/socket as you don't want to round the bolt, the caliper need not come off if you are only changing pads, just undo the carrier. i don't know what car you have but most are the same.

They all need a bit of brute force.
Best thing to do is buy a service manual. Hanes, Motor's, Chilton's, one of those relevant to your year/make/model. Will say this, the caliper mount bolts (2) will be tight.