Friday, September 23, 2011

Question about car brakes?

Hi, I've recently started noticing that when I brake on occasion my brakes will squeak. It doesn't happen everytime I brake, but I don't want to unintentionally ignore something that could be a problem. I had them checked and the brake pads replaced two months ago, so I know it isn't that (and it doesn't sound the same) ...the mechanic also said the only thing wrong with them were that the brake pads were almost down to the metal, he didn't mention anything about rotors or the brakes themselves, etc.



Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going out of town this weekend (4 hour drive one-way) so I definitely want to make sure my car is safe. I'm needing to get my oil changed as well, do any car service chains offer brake inspection in any of their packages, or do you think it isn't anything to worry about? I've had my car for almost 4 years, but it doesn't misbehave so I haven't had to deal with issues like this :) ...it has about 55,000 miles on it, and is a 2002 Honda Civic.



Sorry, a lot of questions, I know. Haha.
Question about car brakes?
To save u money do it urself but have someone wit u to help u out if u need the help yes its ur breaks but its u..
Question about car brakes?
If you had low-grade pads installed, the squeaking might be normal. These pads are semi-metallic, and tend to squeak. Just to be safe, you can ask the person who changes your oil to check your brakes for you. That would be a good idea. Make sure it is a reputable place, or someone that you trust.
how bad is the squeak? if it's a screech, that's bad. squeaks? not too bad. perhaps your mechanic didn't use the shims that came with the new pads, if they were even in the box at all.



how recently were the pads replaced? if it was yesterday, give them some time to wear-in to the rotors.
It's most likely not a problem - but you might want to take it back and have them inspect it just in case.



Sometimes a little bit of the ferrite that they put in the pads to make them squeak when they are getting closer to wearing out gets too far towards the face of the pad.
Sounds like you might have some brake dust building up.It's not a safety issue,but it can be very annoying.There is a product that most car parts stores sell.It comes in a can,and you can spray it on the rotors to get rid of the built up brake dust.I hope this helps.
Rule of thumb,

Brakes squeak, you have a little time to get them checked or replaced

Brakes squeel, time for a replacement this weekend.

Brakes grind, get'em fixed now.

Hope this helps!
  • finger nails blue
  • database
  •